Amazon is an ultra-competitive marketplace with over 300 million active customers and 12 million products in its catalog. So, sellers who want to succeed on the platform must come up with strategies to gain visibility and improve their conversions. Listing optimization is one of the most effective visibility strategies. And the most successful Amazon FBA sellers are those who have mastered listing optimization.
Product images are an essential part of every Amazon listing, and if you want to capture the audience’s attention, your photos must be top-notch. Adding photos to your listings may seem easy, but there are some Amazon image guidelines that you have to follow.
If you read to the end, we’ll tell you everything about Amazon product photos. We’ll also go over some guidelines for Amazon product photography. Then, we’ll show you some Amazon image best practices to make your photos stand out. This is supposed to be a complete guide to optimizing your listings with product photos. So, we’ll start with the basics first.
Let’s get right into it.
Table of Contents
What is Amazon Product Photography?
The concept of Amazon product photography involves taking clear, attractive photos that persuade buyers to purchase a product. This type of photography focuses on highlighting the product’s features and benefits while maintaining a pleasing aesthetic.
Do Your Product Photos Affect Your Conversion Rates?
The average online shopper has an attention span of about 8 seconds. What this means is that an average customer only has about 8-10 seconds to get the message from your listings. Only a few shoppers will take their time reading through your listings. So how do you get them to see and purchase your product? The best way is to use attractive product photos and videos that capture the full essence of your product.
It’s a well-known fact that listings with higher-quality photographs convert better. According to a 3M survey, the human brain can process a picture in 13 milliseconds. A human can supposedly comprehend an image 60,000 times faster than text, which is why superb photography is so vital.
Your conversion rates are likely to increase if your product photos are clear, detailed, and attractive. Why? Because you have communicated your product’s value through attractive photos and have answered their questions without saying a word.
How to Get Amazon Product Photos
There are two ways to get product photos for your listings. You can either choose to take product pictures yourself or you can hire a professional to do it for you. Hiring a professional may be more expensive, so if you want to save money, you can consider doing the shoot yourself. This should not be an issue if you have a clear camera and good lighting or backdrop. If you decide to shoot product photos yourself, you will have to dedicate time to editing the pictures. And since editing is a lot of work, it may be stressful and time-consuming.
So it’s best to hire a professional for your product photoshoot if you do not have the skills and resources it requires. This way, your photos will have a professional touch and you can be sure they’ll portray your products in the best way possible. What if you can not afford to hire a professional? Read to the end to see our Amazon image best practices to help you take great product photos.
Amazon Image Guidelines
It is common knowledge that AMZN has tons of restrictions and requirements for different business processes. So, before you start taking and uploading product photos, be sure they are in line with Amazon’s requirements. Here’s a list of the Amazon image requirements you should adhere to when uploading photos to your listings.
- Your photos must represent the product well and show exactly what is on sale.
- The product and all its features must be obvious.
- The backdrop of the MAIN pictures should be pure white (RGB color values of 255, 255, 255), as this mixes nicely with the search and product detail pages.
- The main pictures must be professional shots of the real product you’re selling (graphics, illustrations, mockups, or placeholders are not allowed). You must not include accessories and props that may cause customer confusion. Also avoid using non-product language, logos, watermarks, or inset photos.
- Your product titles and pictures must tally.
- On the longest side, photos should be 1,600 pixels or larger. The website’s zoom function is enabled because of this minimum size requirement, and the use of Zoom has been shown to increase sales.
- Photos must not be more than 10,000 pixels on the longest side.
- JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), and GIF (.gif) file types are all accepted by Amazon. However, JPEG is recommended.
- Animated gifs are not supported on AMZN.
- Product photos must not be sexually provocative or contain nudity.
- For shoes, the main photo should be of a single shoe, facing left at a 45-degree angle.
- The main pictures of women’s and men’s clothing should be shot on a model.
- All photographs of children’s and babies’ clothing should be shot flat (off-model).
Make sure you keep these image guidelines in mind when shooting product photos for your listings.
Types of Amazon Product Images
There are different types of product photos, but a basic plan should contain these three types of photos.
Main Amazon Image
This is the first picture that customers see when they come across your listings. So, it’s important that your product photos capture customers’ attention and convince them to spend more time on your listings. Ensure you stick to AMZN’s requirements when uploading your main product photos.
It is important that there are no distractions in the background of your main photos. Also, ensure you only upload pictures that contain just the products that you’re offering. It’s very easy to lose a sale because your product photos are confusing.
The picture above shows what a great product photo should look like. Customers can easily tell what they’ll get when they place an order. This main photo ticks all the boxes:
- It has a white background
- There are no additional props, watermarks, or inset images.
- It is a clear, detailed picture that shows exactly what the buyer will get after unboxing the product.
If your main photo does not conform to these requirements, Amazon may suppress your listing. Now that you know what your main Amazon photo should look like, here’s what it shouldn’t look like.
What the Main Photo Should Not Look Like
- It should not carry any of Amazon’s logos, trademarks, or variations. This includes, but is not limited to, words like Amazon, Prime, Amazon Alexa, Premium Choice, or the Prime Badge. Check the trademark usage guidelines to learn more about this.
- It should not contain any sexually provocative or nude images.
- It should not be blurry, pixelated, or have rough edges.
- A product that takes up less than 85% of the frame on the longest side’s limiting dimension.
If you sell clothing items, accessories, shoes, handbags, luggage, and jewelry, there are some additional things to take note of.
- Avoid using photos with a background that isn’t completely white (RGB less than 255).
- Avoid having text, logos, borders, color blocks, watermarks, or other images over the top of a product or in the background.
- Avoid using multiple photos of the same product.
- Avoid using photos where the product has been cropped or covered by a frame. This doesn’t apply to jewelry, or necklaces, to be precise.
- Do not use props excessively in a way that covers or surrounds products.
- Only take product pictures of models in the standing position (no kneeling, sitting, or leaning).
- Do not use visible mannequins except for stockings and socks.
- Avoid using pictures of kids’ or baby leotards, underwear, or swimwear that have been taken on a model.
Going by the above points, these product photos are unsuitable for an Amazon product listing. Always follow the Amazon image guidelines when including pictures in your listings. This will save you from the stress of trying to recover a suspended listing.
Now you’re probably asking, “How many images can you have on Amazon?” Amazon allows you to upload up to 9 photos on your listings, including your main image. However, only the first 7 pictures will be shown on your actual listing, as seen in the example below. Feel free to play around with your additional photos. You can add nice graphics and text in the background or use fun, attractive backdrops. You can even add infographics, size charts, and other informational texts.
Infographic images, also known as infographics, are visuals with text that highlight the benefits of your product. These are the product photos that emphasize all of your product’s top qualities and why it’s the best choice for buyers. Here’s an example of an infographic:
These kinds of pictures show your products in use. The goal of lifestyle photos is to depict functionality and show customers how they’ll enjoy using your product. Since your customers cannot see or feel your product in person, these pictures will help them visualize what using your product will be like.
How to Combine Amazon Images on Your Listing
- Image 1: Main Image/Hero Shot
- Image 2: Shot displaying all components and/or a shot showing measurements
- Image 3: Infographic of features
- Image 4: Infographic of features
- Image 5: Infographic of features
- Image 6: Lifestyle
- Image 7: Lifestyle
Of course, you can mix images as you please, but the main photo should be the focus. So, ensure it’s in line with the guidelines listed above.
Top 7 Amazon Image Best Practices
Now that you know all the important Amazon image guidelines, let’s show you how to take product pictures for Amazon. If you have a background in photography, you will be able to take great product pictures with your smartphone. However, seeing as your product images are very important, it’s best to only have high-quality, professional photos in your listings.
It’s understandable if your reasons for taking your product pictures yourself border around costs. However, you will have to at least learn the basics of product photography to ensure you get great images. Whether you do it yourself or hire a professional, these tips will help you get the most out of your product photoshoot.
Let your Main Image Take the Shine
Since your main picture is the first thing customers will see, you have to make an impression with it. Follow Amazon’s image requirements and use a bright, clear picture that draws customers’ attention. Remember to use a white background and make sure your product takes up at least 85% of the image. There’s no harm in taking a look at your competitors’ listings for ideas. Don’t forget to include some additional images of your product from different angles.
Use Up All the Available Space
Don’t try to manage your space, upload at least seven images taken from different angles. Also, provide some information within the images. If you have to, hire models so you can help the customers picture themselves with the item. Also, include relevant images of your product in use. Then, switch up the backgrounds of your additional images and use infographics where necessary.
Try Not to Create Regular Lifestyle Images
As we already mentioned, the goal of lifestyle images is to show your products in use. So, ensure you do just that, and if you’ll be using a model, use someone that’s within your target audience. You can ask to take pictures of your friends and family while they’re using your product, and all of this can be done using a phone. Here’s an example of a great lifestyle image:
If you’re unable to take your own lifestyle images, you can photoshop people using your products. We strongly suggest you hire someone to do it for you if you’re unsure of your Photoshop abilities. Images that have been badly altered risk portraying your goods and brand in a poor light.
Zoom in on Product Features
It is extremely important to show your product to your customers from different angles since they cannot actually see it in person. This can be achieved by zooming in on different parts or features of your product. See below:
This image highlights the selling points and important features of the product and this is a great way to persuade customers to buy it.
Add Text to Your Images
Make your product photos more engaging by adding relevant product information. Use consistent fonts and colors to create a unique brand identity on Amazon.
- Highlight the product’s best features/benefits
- Specifications such as sizes, dimensions, and other important information should be included
- Describe the materials that went into making your product
- Ingredients should be displayed if it is a food product or nutritional supplement
- Compare your product to your competitors and show why yours is the better option.
Use 3D-rendered Images
You can include a 3D cross-section of your product that highlights a key benefit that isn’t obvious from the outside. By looking at one single image, the consumer can learn how the product works and about all the materials that it is made of. Although this is not necessary for every item, it may aid customers in understanding the complicated mechanism behind a product.
Work with a professional
It’s important that you consider hiring a professional if you’re not very confident in your photography skills. Your images play a major role in convincing buyers to purchase your products, so low-quality product images are a no-no. A professional photographer will charge between $200 and $300 to snap your main product image, as well as six other angles, infographics, or lifestyle shots. You can also consider using editing software or outsourcing your editing needs to a professional team. ZonBase Amazon software offers a photo enhancement service that allows you to outsource photo editing to a team of experts. Keep reading to learn all about the software.
How to Add Images to An Amazon Listing
Images are an important part of your product listings, so if a product doesn’t have an image available, you should add one. Here’s how to add images to your product listing:
How to Add Images to an Existing Listing
- Select ‘Manage Inventory’ from the Inventory tab on your dashboard.
- Click ‘Manage Images’ from the Edit drop-down menu for each product on the far right.
- Under the Images tab, scroll down to the section titled Your image recommendations.
- Click Upload to add a picture to any of the empty spaces. The MAIN picture appears in the top left image slot on this portion of the page.
- Click the Open button to open an image from your computer.
- At the bottom right of the page, click Save to add your image.
How to Add Images to a New Listing
- Go to the Inventory tab in Seller Central and click on ‘Manage Inventory’.
- Next, click on ‘Add a product’, located at the top-right of the page, or click Add a product from the Inventory menu in Seller Central.
- To create a new listing, click on ‘Create a new product listing’ and browse the categories.
- Under the Vital Info tab and Offer tab, fill out the required fields.
- Click on ‘Add images’ in the images tab.
- Next, click Browse for the first empty image placement. Upload the main image in the top left image slot in this section of the page.
- Choose an image from your computer, then click ‘Open’.
- Click ‘Save and finish to complete the upload.
How ZonBase Can Help Improve the Quality of Your Product Images
ZonBase is an all-inclusive Amazon software that provides a complete set of Amazon seller tools. The software offers a photo enhancement service that allows sellers to outsource their photo-editing needs to a team of experts. All you’ll have to do is to decide on how many product images you want to work on, then send in your pictures. The ZonBase team will work on them and you’ll get them back in a matter of days. Nothing complex at all. Here’s an example of what you’ll get when you sign up for the ZonBase Photo Enhancer service.
ZonBase offers three pocket-friendly plans for this service and if you sign up for the service, you stand a chance to have your listing optimized too!
Does ZonBase only offer the photo enhancement service? Absolutely not. ZonBase also offers an effective set of product research, keyword research, and listing optimization tools. In addition to this, it offers a sales estimation and analytics tool.
If you’re looking to scale your business to profitability, you should consider investing in the software. You get access to 13+ effective tools and excellent value at an affordable price. You can sign up for a 7-day free trial to see for yourself.
The higher the quality of your Amazon image, the more likely you are to convert a visitor into a buyer. Also, remember that your product images are the easiest way to sell your products to a customer without saying anything.
So, take time to create the best possible images for your brand. Consider your target audience and the kind of information that matters to them. Remember, the goal is to persuade them, so take their needs into consideration, then make your product images informative and eye-catching, and don’t hesitate to use software or work with professionals if you have to.